I was a partner at the German predecessor of White & Case for many years, including several years as managing partner. In 2001 I established, together with some colleagues, the Hamburg office of Allen & Overy, where I assumed in addition to my legal work the position of managing partner and then senior partner of the five Allen & Overy offices in Germany from 2002 through 2009.
- 1950 Born in Hamburg
- 1968 Abitur (general qualification for university entrance)
- 1968 – 1970 Military Service
- 1970 – 1974 Legal studies in Freiburg and Hamburg
- 1975– 1977 Legal clerkship in Hamburg
- 1986 Ph.D.
- 1977 – 1978 Hamburgische Landesbank – Girozentrale (in-house counsel)
- 1978 – 2001 Scherzberg & Undritz/ Feddersen Laule Ewerwahn Scherzberg Finkelnburg Clemm, later White & Case (Partner as of 1983, Managing Partner 1998-2000)
- 2001 – 2012 Allen & Overy LLP (Managing and Senior Partner 2002-2009)
- German Arbitration Association (DIS)
- German Maritime Arbitration Association (GMAA)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- German Bar Association (DAV)